Conneaut Harbor Lighthouse
Photo Credit: C. Hanchey
Best viewed from Conneaut Township Park off Route 531 in Conneaut. From Route 20, take Route 7 north. Route 7 turns into Broad Street. Follow Route 7 north to Lakeside Drive. This lighthouse guards the mouth of Conneaut Creek. The lighthouse is not open to the public.
Conneaut Harbor traded in whiskey, lumber and grain. Today, this port transports coal, iron ore and stone. The present lighthouse was built in 1936 and features a 60-foot steel tower with a black band that serves as a navigational aide during the day. The “sister light” of one in Huron, Conneaut Harbor Lighthouse was automated in 1972 with alternating red and white signals from a 375 mm lens every six seconds. It is not the first lighthouse to guard Conneaut Creek. Pier lights lit this harbor until 1885 when the first lighthouse was built.
Ashtabula County Convention and Visitors Bureau, (800) 337-6746 or www.visitashtabulacounty.com