Fairport Harbor Marine Museum and Lighthouse
Photo Credit: C. Hanchey
129 Second St., Fairport Harbor. Located at the mouth of the Grand River. Take Route 2 to Painesville Exit. Head north on Richmond Street (Richmond Street becomes High Street). Museum is located at corner of Second and High Streets.
Spiral staircase leads visitors to the top of this 60-foot sandstone and brick lighthouse built in 1871. An adjacent museum exhibits navigational instruments, lighthouse lenses, models of early sailing vessels, relics from Native American settlements along the Grand River, and salt-mining exhibits and iron ore displays. Fairport Harbor transports salt, limestone, sand and gravel. Nearby, the nation’s deepest salt-mining operation extracts salt from beds 200 feet deep and up to two miles under Lake Erie.
Fairport Harbor Marine Museum and Lighthouse, (440) 354-4825 or www.fairportlighthouse.com
Open from the Saturday before Memorial Day through the third weekend in September on Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, 1 to 6 p.m. Special tours by appointment. Admission to the museum and lighthouse tower is $5 for adults, $4 for seniors and $3 for those 6-12. Admission for small tour groups have a $20 minimum charge.