Green Island Lighthouse
Photo Credit: United States Coast Guard
Located on Green Island in the Western Basin of Lake Erie. Not accessible to visitors.
Once the main supply of strontium in the United States, tiny Green Island is now a state wildlife area and off-limits to visitors without prior written permission from the Chief of the ODNR Division of Wildlife. The first lighthouse, built in 1854, burned on New Year’s Eve in 1864. A two-story limestone replacement was built in 1865 and operated until 1939 when the U.S. Coast Guard replaced it with an automated light on top of a tower. The lighthouse has since been gutted by fire.
Visits to the island are prohibited and strictly enforced.