Huron Harbor Lighthouse
Photo Credit: C. Hanchey
Located along the mile-long pier at the mouth of the Huron River in downtown Huron. From Route 2, take Route 13 Huron exit. Turn north and drive approximately two miles to the intersection of Route 6. Turn left on Route 6 and right on Williams Street. Follow Williams Street a half-mile to Wall Street and turn right.
Travel about a block to Main Street and turn left. At the end of Main Street, park on the left and follow the breakwater and paths along the pier.
The modern white steel light marks the entrance to the Huron Harbor. Its 72-foot-tall tower was built in 1936 on a pier that extends from the shore. F.P. Dillon and W.G. Will built two similar lighthouses the same year. Huron’s “sister” lighthouse stands in Conneaut. The light was formerly operated by remote control from a brick station on shore and had a lantern at the top. It was automated in 1972. The lighthouse is still operational and is managed by the U.S. Coast Guard.
City of Huron, (419) 433-8487 or https://www.cityofhuron.org/government/departments/parks-and-recreation
The lighthouse is not open for tours; however, you can walk the mile-long pier to its base.