South Bass Island Lighthouse
Photo Credit: Ohio Sea Grant College Program
Located on South Bass Island in the Western Basin of Lake Erie. Take either the JET EXPRESS from Port Clinton (Routh 163) or downtown Sandusky (Jackson Street off Route 6), or take Miller Boat Line from Catawba (Route 53).
Spacious by most lighthouse standards, this brick lighthouse contained two and a half stories of living space with an attached 60-foot tower. Its 4th Order Fresnel lens was first lit in 1897. The lighthouse was automated in 1962. Today, it is owned by The Ohio State University and used as living quarters for its nearby Stone Laboratory on Gibraltar Island. A NOAA satellite station was added to the property in 1983.
The Ohio State University/Ohio Sea Grant, 419-285-1800 or www.ohioseagrant.osu.edu/visit/south-bass-lighthouse
You can view the lighthouse by taking Langram Road past Miller Boat Line dock until it dead ends. Tours of the lighthouse are offered by the Ohio State University on the second Saturday of the month, June through October, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Open houses are also scheduled throughout the summer.