Ashtabula Harbor Lighthouse
Photo Credit: US Army Corps of Engineers, Buffalo District, Public Affairs
Located at the mouth of the Ashtabula River, this beacon is best seen from the Great Lakes Marina and Coast Guard Memorial Museum (also known as the Ashtabula Marine Museum). The lighthouse is not open to the public.
During World War II, Ashtabula received more iron ore than anywhere else in the world. This port still ships and receives goods from across the globe, including limestone, taconite, coal and agriculture potash. Lighthouses underwent many changes as technology advanced and boat traffic on the Great Lakes increased. This lighthouse was the last one operated on Lake Erie and was built in 1905.
Ashtabula Lighthouse Preservation and Restoration Society, www.ashtabulalighthouse.com